Re: Energy used in a 50 by LW vs HW by your formula

On Sat, 07 Mar 1998 06:15:20 GMT "Joe Long" <jlong@mti.net> writes:>

>  What the statistics show
>is that the
>ratio of weight to time is appropriate.  If it were not, either the
>horses
>ridden by light riders or those ridden by heavy riders would be
>winning BC
>disproportionately to the numbers of those riders.
>
>But perennially some light riders think the heavyweights have an
>advantage for
>BC, and some heavy riders think the lightweights have the advantage.
>Which
>itself suggests that the system is working pretty well.

1997 Nation BC Champion, Karen Kroon, DVM., rode as a Middleweight last
year.  Her strategy on ride day is to win by as many minutes as possible.
 Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she won every ride where she was
awarded BC.  (Of course we, here in the Mountain Region, expect her to
win every ride--unless she is on a brand new horse).

I her overall philosophy seems to be--"train hard, win easy".  Where have
we heard that before.

It would be interesting to find out where the past National BC winners
were, by weight, placing and timepoints.

BTW, Karen was transferred to North Carolina.  Watch out South East
riders.

Lindavan.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]