Re: Equine Physical Therapy

In a message dated 98-03-06 18:07:17 EST, wendy@wendy.cnd.hp.com writes:

<< K S Swigart said:
 >(And here I am going to
 >go WAY out on a limb and say, if you need a chiropracter for your horse,
 >that is pretty much confirmation that you haven't been working your
 >horse properly. >>

While the above point is excellent, there are also many horses with such poor
conformation that almost ANY work results in a need for chiropractic care.
Dressage is essential for these horses to be functional at all, IMHO, but they
are such "project" horses (to steal a good phrase from Deb Bennett) that
dressage alone will not do it.  Needless to say, I try to steer riders clear
of selecting these horses to begin with.

Also, physical injury can lead to a need for chiropractic care--things like
somersaults off of mountains and trailer wrecks can leave even the fittest and
best-conformed horse in less than optimal condition....

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)