keeping weight on

>I need some ideas....Tony does not maintain his weight well
>when being ridden seriously and my spring ride schedule is
>more intensive than I've done before - I'm worried about him
>carrying enough weight into his rides.

Hi Tina:

I can give you some info on what I do with my horses.

1.  Have a good equine dentist look at Tony.  Not just somebody that
'floats teeth'.  The difference between the two is like night and day.

2.  Increase or add corn oil.  Start slowly and work up to a level that
he'll still eat but will still be enough to do something.  I think a cup of
corn oil has something like 6,000 calories in it.

3.  Have you tried an all in one feed? I feed LMF Endurance Ener-G.  I had
to cut them back to a pound or less on days they are off, (no riding, but
still turned out) and no more than 4 pounds when worked.

4.  Have you had bloodwork and/or urine analysis done?  It would be a great
starting point to know if Tony is having all of his nutritional needs met
to begin with.

The really great thing about the LMF feed is that it is formulated for
endurance horses, and contains everything they need without the need to add
a lot of supplements.  Certain supplements can be beneficial if necessary
(like selenium, probiotics, etc.), but IMO  a lot of supplements don't
really help the horse and only stress their system further.  There are
probably other manufacturers of all in one feeds targeted towards
performance horses.

Another thing I have done, is put my horses on Strongid C (daily wormer).
Between doing that, having an equine dentist work on their teeth, and the
probiotics I have cut their hay ration by 1/3.  Weaver had done 305 miles
for the 98 ride season so far.  I was out walking him last week, after
getting home from the 20 MT 100, and my neighbor accused him of being FAT!!
 (we went from one bale of hay lasting two horses two days, to that same
bale lasting three days--well worth the cost of the dental work, wormer,
and probiotics)

Good luck!

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Dream Weaver..oftentimes so fat his belly band on his blanket can't be
buckled!
& Rocky