Re: formula for energy expenditure

In a message dated 98-03-05 19:11:18 EST, suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< My normal regimen is
 > to feed double the normal daily amount of grain in the 24 hours
 > following a ride, about 1.5 times the normal daily amount the
 > following day, then back to normal.  I never had a horse have any
 > trouble on this schedule.
 >
 > --
 >
 > Joe Long

 Thanks, Joe, I agree that a reasonable increase in rations are okay.  My
 concern would be for someone trying to pack twenty pounds of grain into
 a horse in the trailer on the way home. >>

I have had good success with pretty much free choice feeds DURING the event,
and in the horses I have campaigned for mileage, haven't had any significant
problems with weight loss or lack of energy.  Seems like they can eat just
about anything during the course of the event, and they will really fill up on
roughages after--will give them free choice option of good orchard grass hay
and alfalfa post-ride.  I prefer using the roughage to the concentrate when
replacing post-ride anyway, and they seem to, too.

Heidi