keeping weight on

I need some ideas....Tony does not maintain his weight well
when being ridden seriously and my spring ride schedule is
more intensive than I've done before - I'm worried about him
carrying enough weight into his rides. Part of it is
temperment - he stresses over anything :) so he always drops
weight hauling to a ride tho he's an experienced hauler. The
other part of it is he's an angular built horse so he's
gonna tend to show some "angles" when he gets fit.

*However* even with all that I want him a little rounder
than he is now going into the rides.

He's on 8lbs corn/oats and 2 buckets of beet pulp per day
split between 2 feedings. I'm not real comfortable putting
too much more grain in him and I don't think he'll eat any
more salad <g>. He's on Excel vitamins, probiotic, biotin,
full turnout, and grass hay.  Not currently on corn oil tho
I have had him on it - didn't see a tremendous amt of
difference with his weight while on it.

What is the current wisdom on complete pelleted feeds for
weight maintenance? What about Equine Senior?

Comments/thoughts welcome privately or to the list

Tina
Tony - a little too svelte these days
hickst@nichols.com