guns

If I had been carrying a weapon, it would have been in my
             pack. To reach it, I would have had to turn around, unzip my pack, find it
             (uh, right - in there?!),

Don't carry you gun in your pack...carry it on YOU!!!  If you get parted from your horse, it won;t do you any good in the pack.  I use a "cowboy" type holster and tie to my leg (just like the cowboys did).  I can even get off an run with it....Besides, what would your horse do if you shot from his/her back?  Have you tried it at home?

Teddy