Re: stretches, lactic acid & food

In a message dated 98-03-02 22:06:23 EST, grs@theneteffect.com writes:

<< My farrier postulated that Lakota is tight in the gaskins because he has
 lactic acid buildup from my working him hard and not cooling him down
 properly.  >>

Unless you are getting Lakota into anaerobic work, there is no lactic acid
being produced.  Lactic acid buildup is just about unheard of in endurance
horses, even in competition, unless there is a pre-existing metabolic problem
prior to the onset of exercise.  It is a byproduct of anaerobic work, such as
sprints on the race track.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)