re:starting the young horse

I have held to the concept that distance riding is to be my young
horses SECOND career.  First they must learn to do something else and
do it fairly well.  Some I have driven, some do basic dressage, some
fox hunt.  I have found that once they have been to a show or two,
they relax and become a partner.  When I start them at distance,
whether it be endurance or CTR, they have "been there, done that" and
get down to business.  We are fortunate to have ECTRA in the
Northeast which allows us to develop horses for endurance in a
controlled CTR atmosphere.  However, limited distance endurance or
NATRC can do the same thing.  Good luck with your youngster!
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.com