Re: GAG's

In a message dated 98-01-30 21:33:39 EST, slsf@foothill.net writes:

<< What has been the experience of people who have used these supplements?
 Is giving them to a young horse just starting his career with no current
 problems a good idea, or just a waste of money?  Is there any advantage
 of one particular brand over another?

 Phil Gardner >>
HI Phil-- nice to see one of  the foundation riders looking to the
improvements sicence has made to help out horses last longer..you bet it will
help preserve the long term use of any horse...

I have been using this stuff on my horses- (5) my dogs and me for about 5
years.
I see a difference. In ME-- the way my old marathon knees work better after 10
yrs of running without support or any nutricuticals.. back then I just ran
until I hurt or broke down.. AND so did my horses..
Of course different condidtioning methods have prevailed.. but if I had to
pick ONE supplement that has done the most for the gang of horses we run.. it
would be the GAG-CS products.

MY first choice is the ADEQUAN shots.. IF you  have GOOD connections with a
ride-racing vet ..youjust may be able to get this at a fair price.. This has
been proven so many times.. It does prevent and correct DJD.  What many
endurance horses are afflicted with... and still go on..this product given
once a month during the race season will help protect him from the tramua they
sustain.. and help it repair.
I give one shot in March.. then depending on the effort I am asking on shot
each month along with the oral supplements.

The ORAL supplements are suspect. DEPENDS on the ablity of the horses gut to
take up the product. It ahs been said the CS molecule is too large to be
absorbed .. well my 5 RAT 1 dog and 1 person  anedotial study over the years
says it does work.
SOME better then others.  MY choice was to test the LOWEST cost products..
I did the study by stopping the feeding of brandx until I noted problems with
pain in the knee, the dog cant jump on the couch and the OLD horses-- 20 and
24 .. went 'crunchy'.. a bit less spring in the trot  etc.

then I would start up brand-y and wait.. IF the stuff works an improvement
will occur in about a week..If not I wait another week then get rid of that
product.
I suspect what will work for my horses.. may or may not work for yours.. has
to do with the balance of the digestion system..

Here is what I found that works -
NUPRO- MULTIFLEX- perna calius muscles.. sea criter.  LOWEST cost..
VITA-FLEX pure cs max strength -- no filler why pay for middlings..costly
VITA-Flex Generation.   this is their entry to take on Cosequen..its not as
costly.. but not cheap..

I tried SURE FLEX-- did not work  too weak per dose.
SInce I have found 'stuff' that works..I have not tried all the others that
are out there.
They are all made from purified Bovine-cow- Treacha.. except for those few
made from  the penra muscle..
The high cost comes from the refining process and the other stuff that is
added to make it work better.

No matter how much the other old timers and the pureists flame me on this
one.. I will continue giving these supplements to my horses for as long as
they are in competition. Its safe and will help to preserve and repair damage.
ALL the horses doing this sport are damaged to some degree no matter how fast
we go or how many miles they do per year..its a wear out issue. These products
are like a grease job.. to keep all the joints moving well and lubed.. (i..e
Mike Thomlison)

I believe it is safe to say MOST of the big guns.. use this stuff..and it
works..ask Becky and Val  ..the ads say so? right? would these 2 say it works
if it does not?
Ask them.. ask RIO and CASH...

Roger R