Horse that stumbled - final report

I sent the following report to some private email addresses, but dediced
to post it here (after receiving such good response) in the hopes that
it might help someone with the same problem.

Subject:  Appointment with Vet/Chiropractor

I should say Vet/Chiropractor/Acupuncturist/Homeopathic Doctor!!

Wow, what an education!!  Bob and I spent almost two hours with this
doctor last night while he examined and worked one of our horses.  I
knew how to check a horse for a sore back, but this horse was sore
almost everywhere I didn't check!  He was sore on the poll, neck,
shoulders, and rump!  The Dr. first examined the horse all over and then

started checking for sore places.  Gads.  The poor horse.  No wonder he
was stumbling.

The vet took a plastic needle case and started pressing on various
places on the horse.  (The plastic just spared his fingers from all the
pressure.)  As I said, the horse gave to pressure everywhere except
where I was used to pressing.  He also had sore suspensories in both
front legs.  Vet said horse was working off the front because he was too
sore to work off rear.

After this examination, we brought my saddle in and placed it on his
back without the pad.  It fits pretty well but not absolutely
perfectly.  He examined the saddle pad I use, which is a one inch thick
wool pad bought from a local saddle fitter (he did not fit my saddle -
just sold me the pad).  The vet prefers wool but said my pad was too
flexible/
flimsy.  He could press his finger into it and feel it on the other
side.  He wants me to get another wool pad, but of a firmer consistency.

Vet also said horse's feet were in good shape (which is great because he
is due for a trim this weekend).  We have him barefoot most of the time
because we are on sandy soil here.  The only time I have him shod is if
we know we are going to a ride on rock, etc.  Anyway awhile back, my
farrier stood me up for an important appointment and I had to find
someone else in a hurry.  I called my cowboy friend who is a farrier and

actually works with horses, and have been using him ever since. The
original farrier kept this horse's toes long and tried rockering the
shoes, etc.  He  also trimmed the frogs up real pretty.  My new farrier
has recently shortened this horse's toes to help with the stumbling,
which has indeed helped.  Also, he does not trim the frogs and told me
that the frogs are the horse's shock absorbers.  The Vet agreed with
this and told us that the best thing we could have done for this horse
was to shorten his toes!!  Also said that if enough time had passed, the
problem (stumbling) probably would have solved itself by having the toes
shorter.  So what I had originally thought was a really bad thing (when
my old farrier stood me up) turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

After the examination, the vet worked on the horse's sore places.  When
he would press a sore spot, the horse would react and the vet would hold
it until he relaxed.  Then he went on to the next spot, etc.  He also
adjusted several places (chiropractic).  Then on to the really
interesting part - he gave him an acupuncture treatment!  He placed very
small needles at various places on all four feet.  Then he used needles
on his back toward the rump.  Those needles were four inches long, plus
the handle end!  The horse never moved.  You should have seen him at
this point.  He looked like he was going through some kind of a barbaric
torture, however, he became so relaxed and dreamy eyed and lowered his
head.  He was just loving it!

After all the above, we lead the horse outside and the vet showed us
some stretching exercises to do for him.  Mainly bending the front legs
and stretching them out toward us until he "gave" us the leg.  Also
flexing the head toward the rear - the horse is real good at doing
that.  We are to do these stretching exercises before riding.  Are to do
the acupressure (not puncture) twice a week.  I'm supposed to find a
gizmo that you hold in your hand that has a round knob on it to work his
muscles.  Also, I'm supposed to canter him more.  Hurrah!

Anyway, this was a wonderful learning experience for both of us that we
can now transfer to all of our horses.  I'm going to get another wool
pad, a knobby gizmo to work his sore spots out, and canter.  And keep
his toes short.

Hope you all found this interesting.  We sure did.

Amber