Re: Quality Hay

Susan,
	I just read your reply to the person inquiring about timothy hay.
Out of curiosity, I have a few questions for you.
	I am aware of a big, fancy Arabian breeder (very expensive and successful
show horses) who feeds straight alfalfa to the stalled show horses.  If you
say it's best to feed quality grass plus a little alfalfa thrown in, what
do you think about feeding horses straight alfalfa?  These horses in
particular, most are not ridden, just lunged and halter shown.  (I'm not
sitting in judgement, just curious)
	I have also heard that if you feed alfalfa all the time, then throw in a
bale of grass hay because maybe you ran out and it was a fix until you got
more alfalfa, there's a good chance your horse will colic. ( I ride with an
equine vet weekly, and he gets these type of colic calls regularly).  I'm
curious why this is so.
	Also, if your horse is not "working" but out to pasture, is it necessary
to add a bit of alfalfa to your grass hay?  On the other hand, if you are
working your endurance horse, are you doing wrong by only feeding grass
hay?  (We feed hay regularly only in the winter when there's no grass).
	One more question:  The "most attractive" pastures I've seen seem to be
fescue pastures.  They're thick and seem to cover the ground very well,
even in winter.  If you were to create your ideal pasture, what would be
your top two choices for pasture grass? (I know pregnant mares can't be on
fescue, but this aside)  And what would be the pros and cons of these
choices?
	I hope my questions are clear.  Thanks in advance for the info.
Lori Sumrall