Re: the AERC Convention

In a message dated 98-01-31 13:57:46 EST, grs@theneteffect.com writes:

<< I know that there are times in an organization's life when maintenance is
 a priority, and times when expansion is a priority. I've read that AERC
 has undergone some serious problems in the recent past, and is now
 recovering.  Perhaps now would be a good time for the AERC to consider,
 in moving from maintenance mode to expansion mode, the value and
 potential benefit of a concerted effort to increase membership -- and
 participation in the sport as a whole -- in the East.

 Just a thought.

 Glenda & Lakota (25 down, 1000s to go!)

We have always been a small close-knit group.  Not that we don't welcome
anyone else.  In my view, AERC office has not been commanded to do what you
suggest.  Many others have suggested similar ideas, yet the office continues
to be "blind" to the issue that if they are losing money, instead of
increasing dues, it would be worth their while to increase membership.  You
don't do it by making convention fees high and not advertising it.  The
Convention is the BEST place for a potontial new member to see what we are
like...yet NOTHING is done to encourgae them.

The office is acting much like the US Government.  Instead of encouragement
and support, we are handed more fees to support their own lack of forsight and
inadequacies.  Where do you see any ads outside Endurance News for our sport?
Very few.....

The old saying: "It takes money to make money" applies here as well. Perhaps a
less-expensive and more experienced executive director with a proven track
record on promotions and management is in order.

Teddy