Re: USFS simply does not want us!!!

In a message dated 98-01-30 15:32:24 EST, lcrowley@ctron.com writes:

<<
 Teddy,
 	Here in the New England area USFS is re-writing the forest plan.  I got on
 to a planning committee but they won't hold the meetings at times that
 working people can get to them!  Right now you can't unload a horse in any
 "designated area" of the forest even if there were trails you'd like to
 ride on.  But bashing your way in from private property is just fine (?!)
 Great "planning" eh!

 I tried to get the horse community alerted to what was happening but its
 hard to find someone who has the time and commitment to stay involved.
 Heck, I wouldn't have known about this if I hadn't heard it from the 4
 wheelers club.

 Fee based stuff has gone into effect but doesn't effect us yet because
 we're still riding in from private property so no one knows we are "using"
 their forest.

 frustrated in NH
 LoisC >>

What ever happened to the AERC Trail Foundation?  We will not HAVE an AERC if
we don't have trails!!!!

Yes, I understand your frustration as I am there too.  I can't make most
meetings, and even when I can, I am overshadwoed by other interest groups
(bikers, ATV's, hikers) ALL of whom have more clout because they have more
organization.....

Also,I find that the USFS may hold a meeting out of "good will", but, when it
comes right down to it, they do what they damn well want to anyway.....

I, for one, an writing to EVERYONE...from local, regional, state to federal
agencies.  I know I am just ONE letter, but maybe someday we might get
somewhere...

Teddy