Cannon bone measurements

Hey, I am curious.  How does one take cannon bone measurements?  How
is it interpretted?  I don't see that it is given as a ratio or
anything, so I assume it is just the circumference in the center
(lengthwise) of the cannon bone.  I am lazy and don't want to read an
anatomy text.  So just some general statements will satisfy me.
Thanks

Linnea & Pesadilla, who had pretty stout legs for a paso.