Re: The great Molasses debate

Solis, Suzanne (LGE-AT) wrote:

> Kathleen Crandell,
> I once heard that molasses also contained some b vitamins and iron. Is
> this true?
>
> Thanks,
> Suzanne

I'll catch this one (I don't think Kathleen Crandell is actually on the
list)---molasses does contain some b-vitamins, but minimal amounts
considering you're not feeding very much.  Also, horses synethize
B-vitamins in the gut all by themselves (except for B-12), so the b
vitamin content of a feed for horses is pretty much irrelevant.
Molasses is a good source of iron--it gets it from the equipment used to
process it.  But then, most feeds contain PLENTY of iron as well and any
horse getting a decent ration is going to be getting more than enough
iron.

The primary advantages to molasses are the increase in palatability and
it decreases dust during manufacturing and feeding and helps bind
pellets together a bit.

Susan Garlinghouse