Re: my last comment on this

Oops, after reading Julie's post I want to clarify this:

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 21:12:27 GMT, "Joe Long" <jlong@mti.net> wrote:

>Sorry, I do not agree.  Anyone who has competed as a runner knows that
>doubling the distance (at the same speed) doesn't just make the event
>twice as challenging -- it does much more.  It's been said often and
>is very true that most healthy horses can complete a 25 mile ride with
>no special training or conditioning at all (even at fairly high
>speeds); the same is not true of a 50.

Note that I was referring to "at the same speed."  Most people ride
more slowly the first time they ride at a new (longer) distance.  So
once you have your horse in condition and are handling 25's in under,
say, four hours riding time you need not fear moving up to 50's if you
wish, and once your horse can handle 50 miles in under seven or so
hours riding time you can move up to 100's.

Note that these riding times are very general guidlines, not hard &
fast benchmarks.

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from trying a longer
distance!!!

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net