Re: my last comment on this

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 16:05:11 +0000, "Beth Glace" <lb@nismat.org>
wrote:

>The point
>is that if someone is having a good time at the shorter events [25s
>or 50s], and is behaving well  to their animal and to others,
>why insist they should move up in distance?

I don't think anyone is doing that.  There have been proposals to
limit the number of 25 mile rides a horse would be allowed to enter
before having to "move up" in the past, and they were soundly
rejected.

<snip>

> I think a
>horse that is brought through in a fast time, seems to be enjoying
>it,  and has good recoveries in a 25 miler,  should be respected as
>much as a horse with a poor performance, but who "finished" a 50
>miler.

Sorry, I do not agree.  Anyone who has competed as a runner knows that
doubling the distance (at the same speed) doesn't just make the event
twice as challenging -- it does much more.  It's been said often and
is very true that most healthy horses can complete a 25 mile ride with
no special training or conditioning at all (even at fairly high
speeds); the same is not true of a 50.

>Many people on this site have
>expressed the feeling that if your ultimate goal is not 100s you just
>are just not welcome on the endurance scene, but oh, please pay the
>fee anyway. I hate to see such narrow mindedness expressed.

A few people may feel that way, I wouldn't call it "many."  I welcome
all 25 mile riders to the "endurance scene," even if they never want
to ride an endurance ride.  But they should understand that 25 miles
is not a test of equine endurance, and does not deserve the same kind
or amount of "recognition" as the horses doing 50's, 100's, or
multi-days.  Recognition appropriate to the level they're competing
at, yes, but if they want the same recognition as those who ride at
longer distances they should ride those distances to earn it.

And I guess that's the bottom line AFAIC -- recognition should be
earned, not demanded.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net