Elevator Rides

Hi all, we just returned from conference to find 513 E-mail messages!
So please forgive me if these are repetitive thoughts regarding the "Is
this Fair" thread.  If you are not moving up to 50's and maybe someday,
100's, you might want to hit your "delete" now.

Most folks training for 50's seldom go more than 25 miles on training
rides (I know, there are exceptions).  The point being that if you don't
have time (or trails) to condition at home, schedule your LD events as
the long ride component in your 50 mile training program.   If there's
interest, I can expand this discussion later.

So how do you pick the big day to go for that first 50 for you or that
new horse?  Most riders just do it.  They sign-up and start with the
other 50 milers.  There is, however, another way... You might be able to
"elevate."

Under certain circumstances, AERC Rules allow you to start one distance,
say a 25, and then later decide to attempt the next longer distance, in
this example 50 miles.  This allows you and your horse go 25 miles (or
the LD distance for that ride) and then make an informed "go, no go"
decision based on the your (and the vet's) appraisal of the horse's
status.  Maybe the vet or an experienced rider could evaluate you too!

Not all rides are "elevator" rides.  In fact, elevator rides are seldom
offered.  Most of the time it's because the loops are different,
staffing for vet checks doesn't work, etc.  Sometimes the RM just says
it creates too much work for sanctioning and awards.

So if you feel your not getting full value for your LD entry fee, or if
you like the mid-ride decision option, why not visit with the ride
manager (months before the ride, of course) and discuss the elevator
concept.  I've quoted the applicable AERC rules below for your
information.

Good Luck & Happy Trails,
Ramey Peticolas-Stroud
Cascade Endurance Center
Lyons, Oregon

AERC Rule1.2  states in part:
	Endurance rides which are sanctioned for more than one distance
     (such as a 50 and a 100 held over the same course at the same time)
     have the option of allowing riders to "elevate" from one ride into
the
     other, subject to the following restrictions: The rider may only
     elevate from a shorter distance into a longer distance; the rider
may
     elevate only once; upon elevating, the rider is no longer
considered to
     be a starter or a finisher in the shorter ride; and the rules on
     reduced Bonus Points for rides with fewer than eleven starters
apply.
          1.2.1 Elevator rides must be indicated on the sanction
application
          and advertised as such.
          1.2.2 The rider must state which mileage he will enter if a
          multiple mileage race; e.g. 50 mile, 100 mile or 150 mile.
          1.2.3 A rider who elevates is eligible for completion only.
          1.2.4 If the starting times are not the same, elevating riders
          must have the time limits of Rule 5 applied to their original
          ride's starting time.

AERC Rule1.4.5 says:
	 Ride management may allow elevation of equines 60 months or
          older, from Limited Distance to the lowest full distance, but
for
          completion only.

AERC Rule1.4.6 syas:
	Limited Distance competitors must be offered a separate and
specific 				briefing on the special features and requirements of
Limited
	Distance rides.