Re: wide gait in hind end

<< Questions:
 In your opinion does this produce a smooth trot for the rider?

        Yes, it seems to.

 Do you think that horses with smoother trots to ride are more
 conformationally sound for endurance?

         Absolutely.  They don't generate near the concussion.

 Does high action which is predominant in the Arab park horse type equate
 to a bouncy hard trott for the rider?

          Depends on how you define bouncy and hard--it is not jarring, but it
spends a                  lot of unnecessary energy---I find the long, low,
smooth strides to be more efficient both metabolically and biomechanically.

 And lastly, what family lines do you feel produce this wide action
 behind type of trott? >>

          I've seen this in several of the old CMK lines--I know my old
stallion Surrabu produced it (he had a lot of Draper breeding, as well as some
Kellogg and Davenport breeding).  Have seen it in other horses similarly bred.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)