Re: Selenium

My figures of 8-10 mg per day of selenium for the adult horse come from Oregon
State University and Schering.  We have been using these values for the past
10 years or so, and doing a lot of follow-up blood testing on horses.  Our
results have been good.  I would comment that horses also have different
abilities to absorb selenium, and as many other people have pointed out, other
nutrients may affect the amount of selenium required.  If in doubt, test your
horse's selenium levels and supplement accordingly.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)