Falling off cliffs

Regarding horses staying on the outside edge of a trail with a drop-off, I
think both previous posts have some merit. If your horse is used to you cuing
him to move right by leaning left, then that is what he will probably do. It's
also true that dressage horses learn to keep the rider balanced above them. I
didn't believe this until one day I was riding in my arena when a cow came
running by. My horse spooked, and I lost my balance. In that instant, my horse
seemed to say to himself "Uh oh! I'm losing her," and he scooted himself back
underneath me, at which point I found myself comfortably back in the saddle
through no effort of my own.