Re: Dogs in camp

I take my dog along when I go to trail rides or camping with my horses
for two reasons: first, I have no one at home to take care of her when
I'm gone and if my usual "dog-sitter" cannot take care of her, I'd
rather bring her along than board her at a kennel. Second, I often
travel to rides alone. My dog is an excellent watchdog and I feel a lot
safer out on the road when she's along. She's part shepherd and part
chow, a one-person dog who doesn't take readily to strangers and who
isn't afraid to show her teeth to anyone who comes near. I've always
been very careful with her in camp because of that. She's come with me
ever since she was a puppy, and is good about staying tied and sleeping
under the trailer or truck while I'm away from camp. I take her out on a
leash regularly, away from the camp area, so that she doesn't mess up my
campsite or anyone else's. The only problem I've ever encountered was
once while I was out taking her on one of these walks, leading my horse
also, and a loose dog attacked her, scared my horse, and it was a pretty
good dog-fight that almost got me and my horse hurt.

Once my friend that is my usual dog-sitter came with me to a ride. She
brought her collie, and I brought my dog. We went out to the ride a day
ahead of time, so there were only a few people in camp when we arrived.
We tied the dogs and headed out on the trails for a short ride. A few
minutes later, we heard what sounded like coyotes howling, but it
sounded like it was coming from camp. Then we realized it was our two
dogs. I was so embarrassed! We immediately turned back to camp, and
reprimanded them strongly for the howling, then left again. They were
quiet this time.

I figure if my dog ever deters even one person from harming me while I'm
out alone on the road, then it's certainly worth the extra trouble to
bring her along and to take care of her properly, making sure she's not
a nuisance to any of the other campers.

Ruth