Re: Belly Lifts

Lucy;

When we are doing "belly lifts" we are actually doing a belly contraction. In
other words we are asking the rectus adominus muscle to reflexively contract.
This causes the pubic bone to move closer to the sternum which causes the hip
to rotate pulling on the back muscles. The hip rotating gives the appearance
of the back rising. It is not actually a back moving up reflex.
What happens, briefly, is: the pressure on the Rectuc, fires a "muscle spindle
fiber", this sends a message to the Central Nervous System, CNS, which is
reflexively channeled across the spine to contract the aprropriate motor unit.
This is similar to being handed a book that you think weighs, say, 5 pounds
only to have it weigh 10, your arm goes down a little until the stretch is
registered by the spindle fibers and more muscle is recruited reflexively.
(probably more than you ever wanted to know).
The fact that you horse doesn't "seem" to react to the pressure on the Rec.
Adom. may be because you are not engaging enough spindle fibers. It may also
be true that the horse is fixated in the pelvis. I would put one hand lightly
on the horses belly, around the navel, while using the other to crab up the
belly. You should feel the contracting muscle in the monitoring hand at the
navel.
The same type of reflex is producible if you work on the hamstrings on either
side of the tail, these pull the sacrum down and back causes a pull on the
Longisumus Dorsi.
While this is a useful exercise it should be accompanied by passive stretching
of all of the involved soft tissue. Whenever we contract a muscle there is
always a residue of the contraction remaining that needs to be stretched out.
If you like I can send you some recommended stretches.
The feeding the treat to one side or the other is very useful. I use this to
evaluate my horse's flexibility, the movement should be round, like the horse
is bending around a beach ball. I also like to square them up in front first
and assur ethey can get the treat off their hips without moving a leg.
hope this wasn't confusing

jim pascucci
Certified Advanced Rolfer