Re: Sources of Foods (Grains)

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:48:39 -0800 (PST) K S Swigart
<katswig@deltanet.com> writes:

>> Sugar is as bad for horses as it is for any other species, and
>horses may
>> exhibit mood swings similarly seen in humans. Time and time again
>horses calm
>
>I must take exception to this blanket statement.  Sugar is not "bad"
>for
>horses any more than it is for any other species.  Considering that
>the
>body must convert all food to sugar (glucose) if it is to be used for
>fuel

Yea!  Let's hear it for molasse.  I've done 1700 miles ALL ON SWEET FEED!
 O.K.  I've admitted it.  I do not mix up my own concoction.  I do not
add any kind of vitamins, or any other supplement for that matter.

A few years ago I was groom at the North American Championships.  The
horse I went with was fed a mixture of oats, corn, bran, and a couple of
supplements.  Notice I did not say he "ate" it.  Most of it was thrown
out.  He looked like a kid holding his nose and eating brussel sprouts
and he stopped eating as soon as his stomach quit grumbling.

I used to work for a Thoroughbred trainer who prided himself in only
feeding rolled oats with corn oil.  I threw out an awful lot of that too.

All I know is that when I feed Southern Gold "Heavy Grain (looks like
Omalene).  (10% protein, 3.0% fat, 5% crude fiber) and a cup of oil,
Kaboot actually chews and swallows his food with gusto, at a ride and at
home.  I just don't see why some people go to such extremes to balance a
perfect diet, then don't notice that the horse hates it.  I wonder if
Michael Jordon eats a perfectly scientific, disgusting meal every night.

I never cease to be amazed at the people who pay a ton for all the best
additives, then feed crappy hay.

Angie and Kaboot (who loves sweet feed and Tifton Bermuda hay.)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]