Re: is this fair?

Cyndi Craig wrote:

> that isn't the point. the point is, should 25-miler 'subsidize' those
> choosing to ride longer distances in aerc-sanctioned events? they
> already do, in one sense, since there are more of them -- but that is
> ok. if it were not for 25-milers, many rides could not make it
> financially. in some of the rides i've attended, there were 3 times as
> many 25-milers as 50 and 75/100 riders...which seems all the more unfair
> when they structure entry fees in such a way that the 25-milers are  are
> asked to pay significantly more than their proportionate share of the
> total expenses...

Alternatively, the rides have in the past and can continue to run "lean"
50's & 100's to break even as in the past & leave off the 25 mile
distance.  If this would eliminate that many riders, then we need fewer
portapotties, fewer meals from the caterer, fewer vets since there are
fewer horses, fewer volunteers for fewer teams (they eat, too), fewer
awards.

Ultimately, there is a base cost to put on a ride.  The value appears to
increase with the increase in miles because the base price is met early
on.  All riders must pay X amount for set costs, then tack on an
additional amount per mile for marking, transportation of staff,
additional portapotties of the trail diverges, etc.  Your choice of how
far to ride.  It does not mean that AERC is "out to get" or "persecute"
25 milers, nor is it asking 25 milers to subsidize the sport..

From another perspective, the 50 & 100 milers subsidize the 25 milers
with their knowledge, input into endurance equipment, establishment of
rides that later add on 25 mile limited distance events...  Untangible
things but very real.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton MIlls,WV