In Search Of: The Perfect Boot

Since I learned at Long Leaf that my Blunnies don't have enough ankle
support, I've been boot-shopping for months now.  I've just about given
up on riding boots and am looking at hiking boots.  I tried on a pair of
Vasque Clarion Impact Leather hiking boots today, which I really liked --
lots of good ankle support, thick rubber sole, steel shank, waterproof,
well-made, etc. and they fit well (I have a wide foot).  They don't have a
defined heel, but I don't think I need that since I use EZ-Ride stirrups
with safety cage.

Does anyone else use hiking boots like this?  This particular one, by
chance?  Is there some consideration I have missed that would make hiking
boots like this a poor choice for endurance riding?   Does anyone else
have any other good suggestions for cushy boots with good support?
(Ariats are out, too narrow)

Glenda & Lakota