Re: wide gait in hind end

Chaco L wrote:
> that horses traveling at a fast trot or climbing a steep hill will
> widen the placement of their hind feet to avoid overreaching and striking the
> front feet/legs.  It is not a conformational thing.  And I've also been
> taught, as Shannon says, that this way of going is hard on the tendons and
> ligaments especially and should be avoided.

I cannot speak for others, but our 3 horses that trotted this way would
have sliced their front legs off mid cannon if they didn't widen up in
back to prevent interfering.  They overstepped by 8-12 inches.  Flat
work vs hills doesn't seem to make a difference.  They will do it at a
fast or slow trot, slow/fast being cadence.  We extend and collect to
manage speed most times.

The horses are sound - Kid is now 14 with 9 years trotting like this.
Major is 16 going on 17, learned this at age 6, still going strong &
competing in 50's (when my husband gets around to entering).  Buster was
an ex Standardbred racer from off the track.  He trotted like this from
age 2 thru his retirement at age 26.  He was sound as a dollar.

I see this widening as a steadier base and a natural way to avoid
trashing their front legs.  We encourage this gait in our horses,
although not all of them learn it or prefer to do it.  I'd like to hear
from somebody that can link this to a definite unsoundness.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV