Dogs and Trail Riding

     Good Mornin'!

     I'm going to test the limits here of ridecamp, and see if we don't get
     kicked out for asking a non-related question, but I imagine a lot of
     you have had the same situation.

     We have two GREAT trail dogs, who go out with us on all of our
     conditioning rides (and whine miserably back in camp when we leave
     them while competing).

     The younger of the two is a black lab cross (and is so injury prone
     --impalings on branches, porcupines, tangles with farm equipment,
     stepped on by the lead horse on a ride, etc.-- that there was a time
     we called her 'Deathwish Deva', who last week ripped her dewclaw while
     playing.  Our vet wrapped it up, gave us some antibiotics, and made a
     surgery appointment for us for TOMORROW to have both dewclaws removed
     (since we do so much riding thru woods with the dogs).  She'll be on
     'restricted activity' for two weeks, during which it will be difficult
     to determine who will go lulu first, the dog (from lack of exercise)
     or us (from having to put up with same).

     So, here's the question.  Should we do it?  Have any of you done the
     same?  Any warnings, words of wisdom, or suggestions?

     To avoid clogging up the BB, please e-mail me directly at
     patti_carey@iimak.ccmail.compuserve.com.  THANK YOU!!!   Sorry for the
     non-equine question.

     -- Patti and (its-been-over-a-year-since-I've-required-surgery) Deva