Re: Picket Lines

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:54:07 -0800, Kimberly Price
<PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>This might be a silly question but I'm going to ask it regardless!  And
>I'm on digest (a very slow one these days, I might add) so please cc:
>me.

>If you unhitch your truck and tie one end to the trailer, one end to the
>truck, won't the rope be too low to the ground?  Where on the truck can
>you tie it that it would be high enough?

Absolutely.  A couple of points that need to be stressed is that the
picket rope should be higher than the horse's head (at least no lower)
and that the lead from the picket rope to the halter should be just
long enough to let the horse's head reach the ground -- no longer.

A way to get it high enough is to run the rope *over* the roof of the
truck or camper and tie to something on the far side.  This is a
stronger arrangement as well.

One last suggestion:  the lead from the picket line to the horse
should have a snap that can be released under tension, in case the
horse does get tangled.  And always have a knife that you can cut a
rope with as a last resort.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net