RE: Picket lines

From: Becke Grams
Email: BeckeG@aol.com

I live in Michigan and we can't always put up fences. The DNR does not allow trees inside of fences and there are a lot of trees in Michigan.  We have experimented with different types of pickets.  The best we have found is to use a truck tie-down in conjunction with the rope.  The tie-down is a flat nylon strap and therefor won't dammage the trees.  It has s-hooks on each end that, once you put a loop in the end of your rope, you can attach it to the rope.  I'm 5' tall and even I can ratched this tie-down snugly into place.

The only problem I've found with picketing is when it is raining or very damp.  Don't use cotton rope either for the picket or for the horse tie.  The cotton will lengthen  with a lot of rain.  You horse could become entangled if he lays down.  Often enough I've been brought straight out of bed when a horse starts thrashing on the picket line.  The ropes can cause rope burns and that can ruin your ride before you start. You do get to see what people wear to bed, however, when this happens!

The tie-down also acts as a stopper for you horse so he doesn't get too close to trees.  Teddy has some hardware that if you put the rope throught twice will not move and you can snap the rope too.  I've also seen 2 trailer ties used.  These have quick release snaps and for the afore mentioned problem is a real life saver.

We sometimes put 2 trailers side by side and throw a couple of lines over to picket horses.

These are just some ideas that we have tried.  Hope this helps.

Becke, PJ & the gang from MI