Re: picket lines*

Chris Paus wrote:

> Can someone tell me what is the best kind of rope to use. Are there >
>picket lines available already made, bucklet ends attached, etc. Are
>there tricks or tips to know about using one?

Chris,

I use what is called a high-line. I made "tree-saver" straps out of old
seat-belts. (You can obtain these at auto junkyards for very little
cost.) I cut off all the hardware and lap the ends back and sew with
strong nylon thread. Do this on both ends. You wrap these around two
trees, distance apart depends on how many horses to be tied to one line.
You want them far enough apart so there are no disagreements and no one
gets tangled up. I put the tree savers up as high as I can, usually
about 12 feet. Run a nylon rope through and tie as tight as possible.
This is much easier to do if someone helps you, it is almost a necessity
to have 2 people. You want the rope you tie the horses to, up high,
horses should be able to walk underneath it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want more info or don't understand
what I mean, I'm not sure I conveyed it just right.

Susan - WA