Re: picket lines*

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 19:15:37 -0600 Chris Paus <paus@micoks.net> writes:
>I have never used a picket line on overnight rides, but my horse
>stands
>nicely at the trailer. I was thinking a picket line could give him a
>little
>more room to move around.
>
>Can someone tell me what is the best kind of rope to use. Are there
>picket
>lines available already made, bucklet ends attached, etc. Are there
>tricks
>or tips to know about using one?
>
>thanks.
>
>chris paus & star

Can only tell you what works for me.  I like a round approx. 1/2" nylon
rope.  It's smooth and the ring slides easily.  Some horses are so broke
to tie, that it takes awhile for them to give any kind of tug on their
lead rope.  A friend of mine uses a much thinner line, and we had two
horses on it with no problems.

My rope is 30' (I think), simply because that's the length rope that
reaches from the front bumper of my truck, over a load of 54 bales of
hay, and ties to the rear bumper.

I'm 5' tall.  I stand on a bucket and tie the rope with a quick release
knot as high as I can reach, and that works fine.  I drop the slack end
of the rope back through the loop, just incase of prying lips.  I use my
rear shipping boots to run the rope through to pad the tree.

Don't forget your knot eliminators to keep teeth off the tree.

I recommend a lead rope with a bull snap.  I've had horses toss their
head just right and be released from a standard snap.

I think I got all my hardware from Teddy at Running Bear.  Wasn't that
you at Biltmore Teddy?

Angie McGhee

P.S.  I've yet to see a horse act like this needed any getting used to.