RE: AERC Completion Time Rule Feedback

Ok, just one more comment from me, and then I'll say no more :)

I want to clarify that I do NOT want to see the completion time lengthened,
nor do I want to change the 12/24 hour rule. I think its a good rule, and is
already plenty generous.

When I first started this thread, I was under the impression that there was
NO legitimate recourse for a ride manager to take if extenuating circumstances
prevented riders from finishing a ride in the prescribed time. Since ride
managers do have legitimate *options* for dealing with extenuating circumstances
regarding every other aspect of completion criteria (lameness, off course,
rules broken, missed vet checks, etc) I felt that ride time should also have
such consideration.

As Ramey pointed out, rule 6.1 does, if taken literally, give ride managers
a legitimate option, which is to grant 'completion only', in cases where *any*
of the completion criteria (6.a  - 6.k) are not met. There is no explicit exception
regarding over-time.

Maybe what we (AERC) need is a little focus on educating riders and ride
managers on the existing rules. Honestly, Julie's comment to 'keep it simple'
is certainly what we all want. But in reality, any time a Rule is made, simplicity
is lost. Rule 6 clearly states what the rules are regarding completion. And
then rule 6.1. states that ride managers may make exceptions to these rules
based on their opinion of the circumstances.

This is not simple.

But it does give ride managers additional power and authority to deal
with *their* individual circumstances - and I believe this is a good thing.

Steph