Re: AERC Completion Time Rule Feedback

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:06:45 -0800, Steph Teeter <step@fsr.com> wrote:

>As Ramey pointed out, rule 6.1 does, if taken literally, give ride managers
>a legitimate option, which is to grant 'completion only', in cases where *any*
>of the completion criteria (6.a  - 6.k) are not met. There is no explicit exception
>regarding over-time.

I'd like to point out, again, that Ramey is mistaken.  The AERC Board
does not consider 6.1 as allowing awarding a completion to a rider who
does not meet the time criteria, no matter what the reason.  This is
clear from discussions in Board meetings.  The black&white rationale
for denying the application of 6.1 is that making the time longer
prima facia makes the course easier.

It is my opinion that if any rider is awarded completion after
finishing later than the 12 hours/50 mile time, based on 6.1, that if
it is contested the AERC will *not* honor the completion.  This is not
to say that it will not slip by if no one objects ... the AERC is lax
about checking such things when they post ride results (look at the
rides with multiple riders having times of 11:59, or even 10:29 when
there are 90 minutes of vet checks; pretty obvious, but they get
posted anyway).  But it would only be because nobody caught it; if it
comes to a protest I believe their completion would be denied.

IMO that's no way to run a railroad.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net