Re: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted

Truman Prevatt wrote:

> An unfortunate fact of like is that in the Southeast we sometimes have
> trouble with trail vandlas.  They can be quite creative.  Not only will
> they take ribbons, but they will use the ribbons to remark the trail for
> you leading riders way off course.  This can and will happen during a ride,
> where it will only impact riders in the middle or back of the pack.  While
> ride management can do all they can to mitigate this problem, it cannot be
> totally eliminated.  I really don't belive a tough luck - to hell with you
> is the correct response in this situtation. While placement is probably not
> called for, I believe milage - assuming the necessary milage was cover -
> is.
>
> Truman

It seems to me that if I were just getting into endurance, spent alot of
time and money preparing, went to a ride and did not complete due to
trail vandalism and got what I perceived to be a
tough-luck-that's-your-problem attitude from ride management (whether or
not it originated from AERC), I would probably get discouraged and
resentful very quickly.  Maybe I'd try again, alot of people wouldn't
and shazam, we lost another potential endurance rider.  Just something
to consider.

Susan Garlinghouse