Re: Pendleton Challenge etc

Lynne Glazer wrote:

> >Does anybody know if the Pendleton Challenge will be held this year?  I
> think someone on Ridecamp said they thought it might be run for the last
> time in April or May, but I haven't heard anything since.  This is the
> best ride in S. CA for a new horse and Lord knows Taffy doesn't need a
> difficult first ride.  If the ride manager isn't able to put it on
> anymore how about finding someone to take over the position!
>
> Terry announced at the Warner Springs ride meeting that the Pendleton
> ride would be held April 25, for the last time because Susan Gibson,
> ride manager (who was also in attendance) was moving along with her
> military husband.
>
> If the ride were ever to be held again, the ride mgr or spouse must be
> in the military, dunno whether it has to be an officer or not, since it
> takes place on the military reservation.
>
> Lynne
> and Rem-member Me, who needs to tippy toe in the ocean and do this ride

Lynne,

	Before Susan Gibson (no connection to ROC Susan Gibson) took over the
Pendleton Ride, it was managed (I believe) by the base commander who was
into horses. After he left, there were several years when the Pendleton
was not run.  Susan has managed it for several years and is a member of
the Chaps and Britches Riding Club on the base.  Even those her husband
is a major and she is a very highly placed civilian employee at the
base, she still has a difficult time dealing with the base in getting
them to commit to the use of the various trails.  It is always a big
hassle for her.  There is no one else in the riding club who is into
endurance, so it would be very difficult to get anyone to take over who
would have access to the base command to get permission to establish a
course, getting the military to help with road crossings, volunteers to
get on base to help mark trails, etc.  And she always has a heck of a
time on race day getting volunteers from the base who she can count on
to help. It would be real difficult to find someone who could fill
Susan's shoes who has all the connections to get the job done.  So this
probably will be the last year since Susan and Chip are due to be
transferred in August.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego