hoof hardeners

Hi group,

I just read one post about using formaldehyde to harden hooves. Although
this is going to be about biochemistry here, I thought I have to add my
.2cents!

Formaldehyde is extremely toxic, it is only to be used in fume-hoods and
NEVER to be inhaled!! It might even be cancerogenic, but to be 100%
positive about that fact I had to get out of the chair and get into the lab
to look it up in the safety-sheets we have.

Please, I'm not sure what the effects of formaldehyde on horse's hooves
are, but for your own safety ---- do not use it like this unless there is a
real medical indication <which I can't imagine needs pure formaldehyde?!>

Hope this helps,

Katja

UCSF
Cancer Research Institute