Re: Next endurance prospects

Kim Fue makes a good point that there aren't any guarantees when buying
horses.  However, I have to comment on some of her statements regarding buying
the horse that seems like the perfect candidate--the traits she listed were
all PHYSICAL traits that can be determined by a good eye and a thorough exam
with ultrasound and x-ray.  She goes on to discuss those all-too-common
situations where one puts in months and months of work only to discover that a
horse is metabolically inadequate (for whatever reason) or does not have the
temperament.  These aspects are just as heritable as good legs and strong
bodies; these parts of your endurance prospect you can only predict by
studying the horses to whom he is related.  Many metabolic strengths and
weaknesses DO tend to run in family lines.  The very lines that the show
people say "oooh-la-la" over are NOT NECESSARILY the ones that excel in our
sport!  Once again, that is why it often pays to buy from someone who is
breeding specifically for the sport or for related lines.  Incidentally, many
of us are small breeders and may not have what you want, but we also know
where the "deals" are down the road--we keep track of those sorts of things
because we like to see good horses matched up with good owners.  You often
don't pay all that much more for a horse that will significantly increase your
odds of success--whether your goal is riding or racing.  I will reiterate what
I said in an earlier post--you don't save anything by paying half as much for
a horse, only to be faced with higher vet bills, chiropractor bills, saddle
fit hassles, etc., and then have to turn around and replace the horse in two
years anyway.  Sure, you may save some time and money in travel and entry fees
in the rides you don't get to go to while your horse is laid up.  By all means
hunt for the bargains, but KNOW what you are looking for, both in conformation
and breeding--be an educated buyer!  But don't forget to shop with the
endurance breeder--you may be surprised at the horses you find for reasonable
prices, the advice you can get, etc.  I can't speak for all of us, but I know
many of us like to see our horses in capable hands and are often willing to
accept terms and payments.  Sure, it is always a gamble, but it is as much
different as buying blue chip stocks vs. playing slots in Vegas.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)