Re: Next endurance prospects

>From: "Shelley @ TRC" <trc@gte.net>
>To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
>Subject: Next endurance prospects
>Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:46:00 -0600
>
>    I did not see one message regarding paying the price a horse is
worth.
>     If we are not willing to pay what a horse is worth, who is going
>keep breeding top horses?>

Hi Shelly,

Unfortunately, the show-ring dictates the price in the Arabian Market.
Fortunately, for those who want to "use" a horse for work.  The
show-bred cast-offs often are very useable horses.  They have larger
bone and better coups (deeper hip, less-flat).  We will always be able
to obtain these cast-offs really cheap because those "trendy" breeders
don't want them cluttering up their farms.

Personally, I'd rather have a horse well bred for endurance.  That is,
one with lot's of the same lines of the proven champions.  However,
those can be bought very cheap also.

>      I do not have a  problem paying top dollar for a well bred horse
that
>a professional breeder has spent time, money, energy, and heart
breeding.>

Depends on what the "professional breeder" is breading for, good blood,
or "show-ring style".

>If it costs $1200 a year to raise a horse, Why aren't we willing to
spend
>what the horse cost to raise??>
>     If we are not willing to spend the money for these horses, the
>breeders are not going to have the devotion  to breed good horses.
>     I, too, have purchased horses for $500, those horses needed
someone
>who was an excellent rider, and had the time a patience to correct
someone
>elses mistakes.  Those horses are rare and I usally spent 2 years
getting
>the horse to where it could do a  50 mile ride in a decent state. (I
also
>ended up putting at least $2500 into the horse before I did my first
50.)>
>also bought $500 horses that were $100 horses and I waisted alot of
time
>and energy on  a useless horse!!!

Yes, and you'll also put $2500 into a $5,000 horse.  So, it makes sense
to start cheaper.  I've seen the pricier ones be useless too.  In either
case, you have to select carefully.

>     If we, as a group, are not willing to pay for these horses  who
will
>be breeding are next endurance prosects????>

People will always be looking for the best deal.  Be it "professional
breeder" cast-offs or back yard horses that people just want to get rid
of.

My guess is, there will always be fools, like me, who will spend the
time and $ to breed excellent horses and then turn around and "give them
away".

Lindavan, Buhni, Sunny, Fiddler, Rabbit & Rain Maker
Equine Athletes <equine_athletes@hotmail.com>
2921 Moore Lane, Fort Collins, CO  80526
970-226-1099