RE: Next endurance prospects

     Picking an endurance prospect is like playing odds.  It's kind of like
that line in one of the Dirty Harry movies "Do you feel lucky?"
     You can take a chance on a "freebie" or close to it and maybe you'll be
lucky and end with a super endurance horse (it's a bit like playing the Lotto
in California - for the last 10 years, twice a week,  winning numbers are
drawn for 3 million
dollars + ... unfortunately, it has never my numbers, my husband's numbers or
my friend's numbers) .   You also can try to stack the odds in your favor by
paying a higher price for a prospect that is well bred for endurance or has
perfect conformation or is an exceptional mover...  Unfortunately, sometimes,
even when you think you have found the perfect horse and he passes the vet
check with flying colors and his xrays and ultrasounds are clean - you may end
up with a perfect "non competitor" regardless of how careful and meticulous
you have been in your search.  Many metabolic problems like thumps and chronic
tying up don't show up until you have invested a lot of time, money and
emotional energy in a prospect - only to find out that he is unsuitable for
endurance (or the level of endurance you want to ride at).  Then there is the
other scenario - the horse that seems like the perfect prospect but doesn't
have the temperment or "heart" to be a distance horse (you know, the 100 mile
prospect you bought that decides that 25 miles is as far as he's going to go
today or any day...or that "hot" Arabian gelding who thinks he can gallop 100
miles and never learns to settle down or pace himself;  who  never has and
never will make it past the 30 mile check because of "burn out".)
     This is not meant to be a downer just reality.  I have been really lucky
(successful) with my "Freebee" horse and I have also been lucky (successful)
with horses that I have bought that were bred for endurance and were much more
expensive  BUT  I have bought and know many people that have bought "perfect
endurance prospects" that have just not worked out in distance racing.  It can
be very disappointing and very expensive both financially and emotionally.
     I think two of the most important things to think about when you are
looking at a prospect (whether he is free or $5,000) is what are you going to
do with him if he doesn't work out and how much time, energy and money are you
willing to "GAMBLE" to see if he does turn into your "one in a million".   A
good endurance friend keeps reminding me of her favorite line  "No
Guarantees!!" a quote that seems to be so true in this sport.