head dropping horse

Ray,

I see a lot of similar advice in various horse magizines.  Do more
ground work or arena work.  This kind of work is certainly generally
valuable but I think this advice overlooks the true situation sometimes.
Your horse is taking advantage of your fear of rating him going downhill.

Horses can and do take advantage of our weak spots.  I have a sweet little
3/4 arabian mare who would not hurt anyone but she just loves to run flat
out.  I can not ride her bareback because she has figured out that by
doing a rough (definitely not her normal way of going) trot she can get
me off balance and I will end up having to let her gallop.  So I've given
up bareback riding with her unless I'm in the mood for a thrill and have
a good soft summerfallow field to ride in!

 I think you forget about staying with the group at all a few times and make
your horse go slow enough down the hills that you are not worrying about
making him fall and then when he tries to duck his head give him a sharp
correction UP AND BACK with the reins.

Teresa