Helmets

Hi all, Hope the festive season was good for all and that 1998 will
bring success,happiness and most of all no problems with the equines!!

I must relate my experiences yesterday as the only reason I am still
here is because of my Troxel!!. I rode my Arab out on a training ride
yesterday morning and he spooked at a snake in the grass. I was thrown
over his shoulder but ended up with my left wrist tangled in the reins
and was dragged at high speed for about 50 m. His right front hoof
caught me just above the right temple(on the hat) and took about an 2
inch chunk out of the hat.I also have a perfect hoofprint on the left
temple of the hat!!. The back hooves have left tattoo marks all over my
lower body and the ground has finished off what was left. The helmet has
about 3 cracks in it , but because of the way it is designed to absorb
the shock I didn't even have a headache or concussion. I cannot
understand how even here in SA the endurance bodies are not prepared to
make hats compulsory in rides!!. So ---- lessons learned ....
1	Always wear a hat ( and in my case a Troxel)
2	Get shorter reins for the short necked,high carriage Arabs!!)
3	Wear clothes that absorb a bit more of the damage from landing on the
ground (summer wear is not great to go skiing in)

Regards from SA

Cindy
Afrox National Contracts Department
P.O.Box 879 , Germiston,1400