Re: Paso Fino

>> What about a Paso Fino for endurance, I've read some about Foxtrotters
but not seen much about Paso's and how they could be trained to do endurance.

I have ridden a Paso Fino gelding at various AERC rides since 1990.  This
14.2 hand, 900 lb. Paso has 7.5" cannons and boundless heart and drive.  In
6 years he has carried a middle-to-heavyweight, crippled up rider  1000 AERC
miles in rides of 50-75 miles, including a couple of 2-day 100's, and 250
miles of LD rides 1n 1989-96.  We have had our share of top 10 finishes; but
age and various disabilities have curbed my personal "need for speed" so
that I am far more content loafing along at the middle to end of the pack
most of the time.  Roany's recoveries are slower than some Arabs, faster
than some others.  He is the most sure-footed horse I have ever ridden, and
I've ridden an awful lot of horses of various breeds over the past 40 years.

That said, and as a Paso Fino owner and breeder for 12 years, I feel I must
clarify a couple of issues on this thread.  First of all, within the Paso
Fino breed there is a large range of height, limb length and angulation and
temperment.  There are Pasos bred for the showring that tend to be smallish,
with very refined, delicate legs, and a regretably short stride, which
combined with the rapid footfall (blur of legs) produces the Fino-Fino horse
so admired by the Latino-types on both coasts.  At the other end of the
spectrum are pleasure/performance Paso Finos like my dear Roan, with longer,
stronger legs, a wide range of speed in gait (he can keep up with most
Arabs' extended trot, and many horses canter to keep up with him) and the
stamina to keep going.  He can also gallop, often much faster than I enjoy
moving through space.  There are other breeders, like myself, who are
breeding Paso Finos of size, substance and of a sensible disposition
suitable for trail and endurance riding, and there are starting to be more
out on the trail.

So....if you want to do endurance on a Paso Fino, come visit the Rainbow
Pasos, or send e-mail to Jan and Paul Zito, Rathdrum, ID   JZ27121@aol.com.

A list of breeders can be obtained at www.pasofinos.com.

Happy Trails,

Patty and The Roan