Re: Dropping the head.

Ray,

Several things could be going on here, but the best way to overcome the
problem is to take the horse back to the point at which he gets the right
answer every time. If that is doing groundwork, then start there. If it is
walking in circles, then start there. build from the point where he knows
the answer.

Second, try the 4-second rule. If your horse freaks out over something in 4
seconds, do that thing ofr 3 seconds, stop and give him a pet or treat.
Eventually, you can increase the time you do the thing that makes him react
and get less and less reaction.

You need to determine if there is a physical problem or a communication
problem. My horse will do a half rear when I've given him too many signals
or he's confused about what I've asked him to do. It doesn't happen often.
I used to think he was being naughty, but now I know, he's telling me in
the only language he knows (horse) that he just didn't understand or
doesn't have the confidence to do the task.

It means I have to go back to what he does know and work from there. It
works great.

Perhaps you should take yourself and the horse to a trainer or work with
someone whose riding skill you trust, and get evaluated. Maybe that person
will see that you hold your hands wrong, give a signal with your leg that
you don't even realize you are doing, etc. Once you correct the problem,
you and horse should be able to get along better. communication adn
consistency are the keys.

Remember, every time you pick up the reins, it is like picking up the
telephone to call your horse.

The other possibility is that there is a personality mismatch. I've had
horses all my life (I'm 46) and have found a way to get along with every
horse, except one. And he almost killed me last year and certainly put a
big dent in my confidence as a rider. I sold him. I had to take myself and
my new horse to a trainer for a while to build our confidence. The crazy
appy went down the road to a horse dealer, who said he rode him just fine
and couldn't figure out why I had so much trouble with him. I think maybe
that horse just didn't like women. My present horse gets nervous around men.

HOpe these ideas help.

chris paus & star