Re: "lame horses"

>Should there be a specific filing form on the condition filled out by our
>vets?  Has anyone else faced this?

Hi Beth:

I have a horse that has a bit of a defect also.  He has some scar tissue in
his front shoulder, which causes him to walk with about a -15% range of
motion in the right fore.  He has learned to compensate at a trot, and
trots completely sound.  So far, he has completed 14 rides, and the vets
have never once noticed that he's off at a walk.  I haven't ever top
tenned, but if we were to have to trot out in a full circle he would
probably appear to be a little off in one direction.

We've taken lessons to specifically work on this problem, and I am hoping
(when the snow melts and the mud dries!) to continue the arena work this
winter.  For now, I can ride this horse 50 miles and he isn't sore, but if
I work him for too long on one lead in a circle, he will be sore.  He is
getting much better, but it's going to take a long, long time.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Weaver, 1230 miles