Re: "lame horses"

Hi, Beth & Ride campers--

The problem of gait anomaly vs. lameness is an old one.  Veterinarians have
different opinions as to the acceptability of gait anolalies; some do not
think that any gait anomaly is acceptable, while others believe (as I do) that
with judicious riding, the horse may well benefit from demanding use.  Those
who believe that NO gait anomaly is acceptable make the point that horses with
anomalies put undue stress on other legs, which is a valid concern.  However,
I have seen many horses develop and considerably improve or work out of their
anomalies altogether, and in that case, our sport has been truly beneficial.
It is all a judgment call on the part of the veterinarian--inasmuch as we are
all human and this is really a gray area, there is bound to be a difference of
opinion.  It also takes a practiced eye to differentiate between an anomaly
and a lameness, and sometimes it still isn't possible without considerable
diagnostic work-up.  There is also a matter of degree--anomalies can be so
severe that endurance riding is out of the question.

I prefer to give horses with anomalies the benefit of the doubt and allow them
to start; however, I do caution riders that I will be watching them like a
hawk, and will not hesitate to pull them if I feel that the horse is becoming
sore in any way.  It is also preferable if all of the ride veterinarians can
be called together to observe these horses on vet-in, so that they know
exactly what the horse looks like and can monitor it accordingly.  If this is
not possible, it behooves the examining veterinarian to make clear notes on
the vet card so that others understand what is going on and take a close look.

I also feel strongly that dressage is a "must" in the training program of
these horses; it goes hand in hand with conditioning to correct or minimize
anomalies.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)