Re: Stroke & Bute

Dorothy--I own a boarding stable here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and I have
had to administer bute to horses on a long term basis a few times.  I have a
26yr old (client's) mare who is arthritic and has been on bute for about 4
years now with absolutely no gastric problems.  My vet has me giving her 2
grams/day for 5 days , then 2 days off to give the stomach a rest.  She gets
her bute Mon - Fri, and has the weekends off.   We have had no problems with
this method.  I administer the bute by crushing it in a mortar and pestle,
mixing it with applesauce and molasses, and putting it in a syringe.  Its much
cheaper than the paste.  Hope this helps!  Alice