Stroke & Bute

I'm posting this for a friend--She's looking for help and opinions....

She has an older (30+ I think) gelding named Dan.  In 1994 she had her
horse checked out by a vet at UCD after being told by her local vet that he
had had a stroke.  The UCD vet thought that Dan had some sort of
"neurological" problem, but says that a stroke is very unusual in horses.

Her questions, though, mainly concern bute.  Her horse is taking 1/2 gram a
day, and has been for several years.  She's weaned him down that far, but
can't seem to get him off of it all together, as the symptoms from the
"stroke" reoccur.  She's concerned about having him on this for so long and
doesn't want to cause any more problems with his health.

Have any of you had experience with long term bute usage?  Or any
suggestions about things she could be doing to minimize any damage it may
cause?

dorothy & elly
taylorsville, ca