Re: Charity/Benefit events

Solis, Suzanne (LGE-AT) wrote:

> Has anyone on this list participated in or sponsored an endurance
> related event to raise money for a charity? <SNIP> we rode our horses and
> collected pledges from friends and family for each mile we rode. All the
> money was donated to some equestrian research project

We tried this with my old saddle club - to ride for St. Jude's
Children's Hospital charity.  We had abysmal turn out as folks felt that
it was too much trouble to solicit and then collect on the promised
funds.

I would think that a "no frills" ride with any "profits" turned over to
the charity would work as well.  Perhaps the vets, etc. would consider
donating part of their time if it was for a good cause.  Even on a
non-endurance ride run like this, our club made close to $2000 for the
charity.

Let me know if you have specific questions about how we organized our
rides.  We  pulled from pleasure riders, fox hunters, CTR, and endurance
by offering several different distances.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV