Charity/Benefit events

Has anyone on this list participated in or sponsored an endurance
related event to raise money for a charity?

The saddle club I belonged to as a teenager sponsored a ride for
research which operated like a walkathon except we rode our horses and
collected pledges from friends and family for each mile we rode. All the
money was donated to some equestrian research project, I can'nt remember
which one and all the participants recieved a sew on patch.

Would it be possible to manage a sanctioned endurance ride but at the
same time have the riders collect pledges for a charity just like a
walkathon? Is this legal? Would this turn into a ride managers
nightmare?

I would like to hear the opinions from the ridecamp community.

Thanks,
Suzanne
ssolis@lg.com